Saturday, March 20, 2010

Stabbing

I was having a cigarette round the back of the building this morning, always a dumb idea because my students (all around 18 years old) come and talk to me or I am harassed by past students and strangers. 'How are you? ' I love you Simon!' etc. For some reason I am very amusing to them, harrumph.

But anyway one of my most troublesome Beginner students from last year came up to me. Last year he and his mate were the biggest pain in the arse, always talking, laughing, arguing every point with me. I kicked them out of class a few times and argued with them incessentally about it. (Which I now know to be pointless, just say your piece and be done with it)

Annnnywaayy this student told me that he was in trouble and had been in jail for stabbing someone in the chest and leg. I asked him why and he didn't say, he was kinda shifty but you could see he was a little proud of it as well, the swine. He jocularly asked if I wanted to be stabbed and I politely replied 'No thank you' and he went on his way.

If I'd had known he was violently inclined I think I would have been a lot less strict with him last year. Despite all this I still kinda like him, we had some memorable times. I suppose in a way I like all my students, even the intensely irritating ones become like your children. You get to watch them grow, hear about them being in prison and to tut at their violent assaults. Awww.

No comments:

Post a Comment