Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hanging with the kids

Two nights back I had the most unbearable experience yet in the Holy Land – I was babbled at long and hard in Arabic and English by some of my student ‘friends’ in their digs in the local village. Ack! The notion of personal space sometimes carries little weight here, especially amongst these frustrated and excitable young chaps.

I had this one guy crouching right up against me, right up in my face asking me to say this and that in Arabic, asking me questions about sex, terms for body parts, with the others, whilst not focused on me, were dancing and fighting and saying ‘suck my dick’ and ‘fuck your mother’ to each other etc. Another kissed me once and tried to get me to dance. I just exaggerated my headache and tiredness and tried to keep my cool.

I was massively tempted to walk out but that would have meant offense and controversy. I’m not sure if these guys are just utter tools, really immature, nervous, trying to impress me, laughing at the foreigner or maybe a mix of all that. All other times I’ve spent with them have been ok but this took the biscuit. They’re all incredibly sexually frustrated as well and can’t do anything about it, so I suppose it’s sublimated into idiotic behavior like this.

3 comments:

  1. Bloody hell! How old, again? You should teach English to kids in Mea Shearim, just to check if the ultra orthodox Jews are equally immature from lack of getting it on ever in their lives.

    And re another post, I was reminded of the Arabs' frequent, quite charming substitution of "very" with "too". Many misunderstandings from that. It's too late, you're too old, it's too far etc.

    It's Sveinung, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! And saying 'before two years' instead of 'two years ago.'

    These particular kids are 19-20, it's sad. And yes it would be curious to teach other sexually repressed adolescents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I remembered another one. When talking about a third person that's also present, Palestinians will refer to him as "this one" or "that one", I always found that funny, dunno why. This is fun. More!

    ReplyDelete