Monday, May 17, 2010

Teaching

I haven't written about actual teaching in a while so I guess I should. Well, I don't call it teaching here anymore, we are just processing them really. All they want to know is information to pass the exam (In which they all cheat anyhoo) and extra bonus marks which they don’t deserve.

But! If they know it's bollocks and I know it's bollocks and they know that I know, we can have some fun with it and just look for the productive and good moments. It's also more relaxing because I am reaching the end – only two or three weeks left, readers – and I can be honest with them about the material being badly presented yet important. It's difficult having to use dull material, especially when you don't have the time in the schedule to add supplementary fun stuff. One just has to rely on charm, wit and presence alone! Ahem. As such I think it's going quite well at the moment, I am pushing them through and getting some good stuff done. 'Good humoured yet firm,' that's the ticket!

I'm quite interested as to how far mood affects the vibe of the room – if you appear too relaxed and jokey the students will slide too far to meet you there, and if you are too strict it's no fun at all for anybody, so like everything you have to reach a happy medium. If I'm pissed off then things just slide and they will find it funny, as I'm not really the scary type.

Surprisingly I've found being nervous to be ok – sometimes when a class starts I'm a little nervous and the students don’t pounce, but I'm quite good at hiding it and it soon goes anyhow. I suppose it would be different if I was literally scared, but I've never been so, thank gosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment